29 April 2012

52-Week Challenge: Week Eighteen

This week's is challenge we one we all knew was coming.  It was inevitable.  "Work Up a Sweat" means getting in regular aerobic exercise three times a week by raising your heart rate 60-80 percent for 30 minutes.  To put it more simply, this week's challenge is exercise.

I might not be the best person to be posting about this because I actually love to exercise.  I get seriously grumpy when I don't get a run in.  After I had MJ, the doctor put me on a strict no-exercise program for 6 weeks.  To me, this felt longer than my entire 9-month pregnancy.  My husband would probably agree with that. :)

I think the key to sticking with an exercise regime is finding something you actually enjoy doing.  And, call me crazy, but I love to run.  It's my "me" time each day where I get on the treadmill and just relax.  It's very rhythmic (so I don't really have to concentrate), and I just lose myself in my music or catch up on my TV shows (God bless the iPad).  It relieves stress and makes me feel like I'm actually doing something really good for myself (which I am--strengthening my heart and lungs AND maintaining a healthy weight).

Honestly, for this challenge, I wouldn't get TOO worked up over trying to reach that ideal (60-80% increase in heart-rate).  If you want to do the math (or pay the money for a heart monitor), be my guest.  Otherwise, use the "talk test."  If you can't talk while exercising, you're probably over-exerting yourself.  BUT, if you can talk normally, you'd not exerting yourself enough.

However, I honestly think the essence of this challenge is trying to get in at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise at least three times a week.  I know it's hard to find time for it but, considering all the benefits exercise has, I think it's highly worth trying to fit this into your life.  It's easiest for me to have a set time every day.  For me, I always run at the same time each day:  during MJ's morning nap.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment