04 March 2012

52-Week Challenge: Week Ten

Hard to believe we're 10 weeks already!  Looking back, I can honestly say that I am still doing at least half of the challenges every single day.  Things like drinking more water and taking my probiotic are flat-out habits now and while I might need reminded more often to do other things, such as taking my shoes off and eating more veggies, they are slowly but surely becoming a fixture in my life.  LOVE that this whole thing is actually leading to REAL changes in my life.

Last week's challenge, "getting some alone time," was actually easier than I thought it would be.  My in-laws are in town, but they are awesome enough to allow me some alone time.  They would take Matty and Oskar for a walk in the morning, and I was able to go for a run or read a book.  I have to say, I really did feel less stressed this week because of it.  How did you all do?

This week's challenge is interesting.  It's entitled "Take Time to Stretch."  The author recommends stretching a minimum of 20 minutes 3 times a week to maintain flexibility.  I stretch before and after my work-outs, but she recommends stretching at other times too.  I have never thought as stretching as a type of work-out in itself, but she claims it is.  She outlines several stretching techniques, which I won't get into here, but if you have the book, check-out her diagrams for ideas on stretching.  If you don't have the book, I'm sure googling "stretching techniques" will lead to some great examples.

As for me, I fell in love with yoga a couple of years ago and do it two times a week (although this week I will try and squeeze in another day of it).  I mix it in with my regular strength-training exercises so I feel like I'm getting more of a work-out.  For example, I'll do some crunches or a 30-second plank, then I'll do two or three yoga poses in between.  It's easy way to get in both strength and stretching without having to find yet ANOTHER time to work in ANOTHER work-out.  However, you can also get in a few minutes of stretching throughout the day, like when you get out of bed in the morning or when you stand up after sitting for a long time.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment