04 January 2012

A New Kind of Resolution. . .

Every year I make the same New Year's resolution:  to be healthier and happier.  And by the end of every year, I realize that I have failed.  Sure, I have survived another year without another major health issue, and  I consider myself a pretty happy person. . . but am I really healthier and/or happier than I was a year ago?  I have no idea.  And besides, who can tell?

So when I sat down this year and really started thinking about my New Year's resolution, I decided I wanted to do something different.  I discovered two major reasons that I always seemed to fail at this goal.  One was that it was too broad.  What did I mean by "healthier and happier?"  Did I want to lose weight?  Exercise more?  Eat better?  And what about being happier?  Did I want to smile more?  Be more kind?  What exactly did I mean?  The other reason was that it was too lofty of a goal to attain.  Being healthier and happier takes a million little changes that can seem overwhelming when you try to implement them all at once.  I usually started off really strong---no soda, veggies every day, exercising 5 x's a week, etc. . . but after the first month, I was so burnt out that I stopped trying.  It was a classic example of too much, too fast.

So the other day, I stumbled across the book '52 Small Changes:  One Year to a Happier, Healthier You.'  Each chapter details one small change you can make every week that will ultimately lead you to a healthier lifestyle, not just physically but emotionally and mentally as well.  You get a challenge a week (for example, week one is 'Drink Up!' and is all about drinking more water daily), and it then gives you tips on how to incorporate this change into your life and make it a habit.  To me, this seemed like a perfect solution to my failing New Year's Resolution.

So my question is:  who's with me?  I'm not really sure who even reads this blog, but if you're interested, I'll post the new challenge every Monday and we can work through it together.  Sort of an accountability thing.  I recommend getting the book if you want to participate (pretty cheap, especially if you get the Kindle version like I did.)

So, okay, week one:  drink more water.  The author recommends figuring out how much water your body needs by drinking the amount of water in ounces that equals your weight in pounds divided by two.  So for example, I weigh about 125 lbs, which I rounded up to 130, then divided by 2 for 65.  That means I need to be drinking AT LEAST 65 oz of water each day, more if I'm exercising, living in a dry climate (I am), or pregnant  (which I'm not).  Since I use one of the large Camelback water bottles which contain about 24 oz, I just rounded up again and told myself I need to drink at least three of those a day.  That will put me at 72 oz.  Easy enough?  I don't want to steal all of the author's thunder, though, so I'll leave it to you all to get the book and read her tips on how to drink more water throughout the day.

I've only been doing this challenge for 2 days, and I've succeeded both days.  Hooray!  I'm on my way to a "healthier and happier" me. . . now who will join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment