29 January 2012

52-Week Challenge: Week Five

So, I failed miserably at last week's challenge:  keeping a food journal.  I honestly don't pay that much attention to what I eat or how I feel when I eat or anything like that.  When I feel hungry, I eat.  Pretty much end of story.  My friend Kristen turned me on to a pretty useful app, however, called "My Fitness Pal," which allows you to journal your food intake and shows you nutrient areas you are lacking.  I liked it because it helped me to realize that, even though I eat fairly healthy, there are still ways to improve, and it showed me tips on how to do it.  I'm not sure it's something I will keep up with constantly, but it's an easy way to go if I (or anyone else) plans on sticking with the food journaling.  How did everyone else do?

This week's challenge is:  "Seeing the Glass Half-Full," and it's all about shifting your thoughts to a more positive way of thinking.  I had my doubts because, honestly, if it was as easy as just snapping your fingers and changing the way you think, wouldn't everyone have done it already?  I mean, wouldn't we all like to be more positive thinkers?  However, the tips the author give involve making a conscious decision to change what you're thinking about by consciously thinking certain thoughts.  For example:

1.  Using Affirmations.  Yes, this might seem cheesy.  I know there those of you (myself included) who are saying in your head a' la Stuart Smalley: "I'm good enough.  I'm smart enough.  And, gosh darn it, people like me."), but this is actually a legitimate process.  I am a Christian, so I plan on using Bible verses as my affirmations.  For example:

"For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."  -John 3:16

"You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world."  - I John 4:4

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline."  -- 2 Timothy 1:7

These are just a few of the Scriptures that I like to speak over myself when I start to get down on myself or feel negative.  Tape them on your bathroom mirror or write them on notecards and carry them in your purse.

Of course, if you aren't a Christian, it doesn't mean that you can't do the same kind of thing.  You can most certainly do the same thing in a non-religious way by writing positive things about yourself and taping them on a mirror or carrying them with you and then saying them to yourself whenever you start to feel negative.

2.  Practice Gratefulness.  Realizing how much you have is a great way to lift your mood and remain positive.  A lot of people do an exercise around Thanksgiving where they write down something every day that they are thankful for.  I'm going to do the same thing this week, only I am going to do it every time I catch myself thinking negatively.

3.  Take Care of Yourself.  Nothing can make you feel better mentally than when you feel better physically.  So I'm going to continue to do my hardest to drink enough water, get plenty of sleep, and remain active.  It's easier to be happy when I don't feel like poo!

These are just a few of the things I'm going to do this week to try and meet this challenge.  Hopefully it will be one step in the direction of becoming a more positive thinker.  Feel free to share YOUR ideas too!  Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. So interesting that you posted scripture... my post has my go-to verses itself.

    ReplyDelete