09 December 2012

52-Week Challenge: Week Fifty

Everyone wants it:  that sun-kissed "glow."  Pale is ugly, but bronzed is beautiful.  But no matter what color your skin turns after being in the sun---red, pink, bronze, or tan--it all means the same thing:  your skin is damaged.  I'm still not quite sure why damaged skin is sexy.

Now, I'll admit:  I fell victim to the tanning craze in my wild, crazy youth.  I visited the tanning bed at least three times a week after school and spent my weekends laying out, wanting nothing more than that "sun-kissed" look.  I don't know why it never occurred me.  I used to judge people for smoking, complaining that I didn't understand why people would do something that has been proven to cause cancer.

Boy, wasn't I the pot calling the kettle black?

But, honestly, it took moving to the desert for me to become a sun-screen addict.  In Las Vegas, you can literally feel your skin baking when you walk out the door.  I don't leave home with slathering myself and my child with sun-screen (I'm still working on my husband).

And that's this week's challenge:  wear sunscreen.

Seems easy enough, right?  So why do so few people do it?  You got me.  But if you still think damaged skin is sexy, consider this:

Over the past 31 years, more people have had skin cancer than ALL OTHER CANCERS COMBINED.  In fact, one in five Americans will develop skin cancer during their lifetime.

So . . . . just wear the sunscreen, okay?


No comments:

Post a Comment