11 November 2012

52-Week Challenge: Week Forty-Six

This week's challenge is to avoid care products that contain toxic ingredients.

Did you know that the United States does not require health studies or pre-market testing for personal care products before they sold?  Close to 90% of the 10,500 ingredients used in personal care products have NEVER BEEN EVALUATED by the FDA or any other accountable group.  In fact, the FDB has banned just NINE chemicals from cosmetics compared to the European Union, which has banned over 1000 kinds of chemicals.  The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has found that many personal care products in the U.S. contain harmful chemicals, including carcinogens, endocrine disrupters, pesticides, and reproductive toxins.

Frightening, huh?

I'm going to use this week to plug two companies whose products are all-natural, toxin-free, and I LOVE:  Arbonne and Melaleuca.  I use personal care products from both of these companies for the sole reason that I am trying to avoid exposing myself and my family to these types of chemicals.  Arbonne is kind of pricey, but I do absolutely love their facial care line.  Melaleuca is less expensive and has everything from beauty products to cleaning products--all natural and toxin-free.  I highly recommend looking into replacing your current personal care items with these brands.  And no, I don't sell either one; I just so highly believe in these products that I wanted to share. :)

There are other options as well, including making your own personal care products or simply reading the box and figuring out which ingredients to avoid.  This chapter has a whole chart on toxic ingredients and their side-effects that you can check out if you're interested.  I find it's easier to just avoid it all together by buying all natural.  Good luck. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment