05 March 2013

Hiking Lone Mountain

Lone Mountain is just what it sounds like.  A tall, craggy mountain, separated from the rest of the Spring Mountains, sitting inside city limits of Las Vegas, surrounded on all sides by miles and miles of subdivisions.  It's just off the 215-Beltway, the inter-state highway that circles the city and, from the view on our balcony, lies just to the west of the Strip; at night, a huge black mass blocking out the seemingly endless lights of a city of 2 million people.

It's been my goal since we arrived here 18 months ago to climb it.  Every time I take Matty to the park at the base of it, I see people at the top.  And these people don't seem like hard-core climbers; they seem like regular people.  If they could do it, I could do it . . . right?


However, this is most definitely NOT something I wanted to do with a kid hanging off my back.  The climb is steep and covered in loose rocks; I barely trust myself with myself not to trip and fall, let alone trusting myself with my only child.  But, I also didn't want to do it by myself, for fear of falling and hurting myself and then being stuck at the top of the mountain with no way down.  So, long story short, I've never really had a chance to do it . . . until today.  My father-in-law decided he wanted to climb it too.  Luckily, my husband and my mother-in-law did not.  So, off the two of us went, leaving them behind with Matty.

The view at base.  


About a fourth of a way up.  The desert is actually kind of pretty (in its own way).


Posing at the bench at the half-way point.  


Looking west at the half-way point.


Honestly, the first half way easy.  It was no steeper than any of the trails I'd done at Red Rock or up on Mt. Charleston.  However, this picture does not do justice to just how steep the second half of the climb really was.  


No wonder there was a bench there.  Smart people would stop there, enjoy the view, and then head back down.  The first half involved just my feet; I had to use my hands a bit for the next half.


But it was worth it.  Check out the view from the very top (the Strip looks tiny in the distance).


I climbed my first mountain!



My father-in-law and I at the top.


Panoramic view at the top.  Wish it were larger.  Awesome option, iPhone, but improvements need to be made. ;)


My father-in-law taking a breather at the summit.  Bless his heart, he kept up with me.  I think I made him nervous bouncing around snapping pictures up there, though. :)


Looking southwest from the top.


My elation quickly faded, however, when I realized I had to somehow get down from here.  Climbing up was easy compared to getting down.  I'm not going to lie:  I was nearly on my butt in some spots.  But, better to have rock burns on your bum than a broken leg. 


My father-in-law took the lead, saying he didn't want to take me down with him if he fell behind me.  Sweet, sweet man. ;)




The climb down was long and slow, and I had time to actually notice some of the local wildlife.  There were some beautiful red cacti along the sides . . . 


. . . and the first hints of some spring wildflowers.


This was my first time climbing Lone Mountain . . . but it most certainly won't be my last.  What an adventure!




No comments:

Post a Comment