24 February 2013

Sharks, Candy, and Lots and Lots of Mud

I have the most awesome friends in the world.  Seriously.  I've been wanting to do a mud run for awhile now, but most of my friends here in Vegas are either A.) pregnant or B.) not into running.  Enter my amazing friend Shawna Haugh.  Shawna and I met in Korea and, although the military moved her and her family to Tucson while we were sent to Vegas, we've remained good friends.  Her husband in deployed, and she was looking for an excuse to escape the monotony of the single mom life in Tucson . . . and the Dirty Girl Mud Run was the perfect excuse for a trip to Vegas!  And, although the main reason for her trip was the race, it didn't mean I couldn't show her and her sweet kiddos some fun while they were in town.  First stop:  the Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay!

Our last trip to the Shark Reef was a nightmare.  We not-so-fondly remember it as the 'Mandalay Bay Massacre.' (Reminisce about it here, if you dare.)  Jonathan thought I was crazy for attempting it again. But, Matty was older this time, we wouldn't be skipping a nap, and I wasn't going to sacrifice a chance at fun in fear of a break-down.  So, we packed the kiddos in the car and headed down to the Strip.

It was a completely different story this time.  Matty was absolutely amazing:  no tears, only loads of curiosity and giggles.

Showing Kailey some fish . . . 



Talking to the fish in his own Matty language.


My absolute favorite picture.  We were in a tunnel, surrounded on three sides by water and colorful fish.


Three excited kiddos.



Making himself comfy while watching the sting rays.



I've been wanting to see the Titanic artifact exhibit for MONTHS, but Jonathan always has excuse to not go (he has fully adopted the Las Vegan attitude of 'Locals don't go down to the Strip).  We bribed the kids with the promise of a trip to M&M World if they would let be patient and let us do this.  They happily agreed. :)

Unfortunately, you aren't allowed to take pictures inside the exhibit but, trust me, if you are ever in Vegas, this is a MUST see.  It contains artifacts recovered from the wreckage including an unopened bottle of 1898 champagne, dishes, clothing, an a real piece of Titanic's hull.  When you enter, you receive a "boarding pass" which outlines the name and details of a real Titanic passenger; before you exit, you are given the chance to find your passenger on the manifest and see whether you "lived" or "died."  Shawna and Kailey lived; Skylar, Matty, and myself all perished.


After a quick pit-stop for lunch, we kept our promise and headed to M&M World.  This place is 4 stories of all things M&M's.  We started at the very top and made our way down.  Out of everything, Matty was most impressed with the display of the M&M car, of course.  


Which one of the kids is most ready for a nap? ;)


M&M goodies in tow, we headed home.  Later that day, Matty was either extremely exhausted or imitating one of the hobos on the Strip.  Take your pick.


Finally, the day of the race arrived.  My sweet husband graciously agreed to watch the kiddos for the morning while Shawna and I made our way down to Impact Sand and Gravel.  That's right:  the race was being held in a quarry.  Even for someone who has spent considerable time running on gravel roads, this was  going to be a challenge.  Oh, and it was 40 degrees at 8:30, the start of our wave.  Hypothermia, here we come!

Before the race . . . 


. . . and after (yep, a complimentary Natty Lite at the finish line.)


 It was only a 5K, nothing distance-wise I don't do almost every day, but I'm proud to say Shawna and I completely every obstacle, even though we had the option each time to go around.  Not only did we wade on our belly through near-freezing water and trudge through thick, shoe-sucking mud, but several of the obstacles involved climbing walls, scaling fences, and spider-monkey-ing our way up a few way, WAY too tall nets.  Despite Shawna's claustrophobia and my fear of heights, we did it all, coaching and pushing each other the whole way.  It was definitely the most challenging thing I've ever done and, not to toot my own horn, I am so super proud of both of us.  Not to mention we did it all to raise money for the National Breast Cancer Foundation.  We did it for the ta-tas! :)

I'd been training in a brand-new pair of running shoes for a few weeks now, but I kept my old ones for this one last "retirement race."  I've put over a thousand miles on this puppies, and it was good way to send them out in style.  They were rinsed off and donated after the race. 


Today I woke up a little stiff and sore, a little congested from swimming/running in near-freezing temperatures, and not to mention with my knees covered in bruises from crawling through the rocks and mud . . . 


. . . but it was SO worth it!  Go Dirty Girl! 


No comments:

Post a Comment