01 January 2013

52-Week Challenge: COMPLETE!

Well, I did it.  Last January, I set out to complete a new kind of resolution.  Taking a cue from the book 52 Small Changes by Brett Blumenthal, I resolved to make a small change every week in a quest to make myself healthier and happier by 2013.  It wasn't easy, but I'm happy to say that I did it!  I kept up with a small change every week.

Now, that being said, I'll also be honest.  There are some challenges that I tried for a few weeks and decided not to continue (things like keeping a food journal and eating fish twice a week), and there are a few things that I don't do every single day or week but still try to incorporate into my life as much as possible (like eating 3 cups of beans a week or doing strength training for 20 minutes, 3 times a week).  But, for the most part, I am really proud of the things I have stuck with and that are now permanent parts of my life (Just to name a few:  drinking water, taking multivitamins, running, wearing sunscreen, and getting rid of all toxic chemicals in my house).  And, reflecting upon where I was mentally, emotionally, and physically this time last year, I can honestly say that I AM healthier and happier now.  For once, I made a New Year's resolution that actually WORKED.

This started out as a group challenge, but really fell to a personal one about half-way through the year.  And, honestly, that is what I'm most proud of.  Despite having no one to hold me accountable but myself, I continued with my resolution and stuck with it, every week.  So yes, it may sound like I'm giving myself a pat on the back . . . and I guess I am. :)

But how in the world am I going to top this resolution in 2013?  Hmmmmm . . . standby for that one. :)

Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment