07 May 2012

A Bit of Gardening

Jonathan and I have had a lot of fun spending the past two weeks gardening and landscaping our home.  I guess not being able to do so for the past five years has really created quite an itch in us.  Let's put it this way, Lowe's (and its awesome military discount) has become our new favorite go-to place (sorry, Target).  Anyways, I wanted to share a few pictures of what we've done so far.

MJ, of course, had to help, but the sun-bonnet I got him was just a LITTLE too big.


I tried to get a picture of him with the flowers I was planting, and he promptly shoved the flower in his mouth.  *Sigh*  Will teething ever end?


So, we compromised, and I gave him the hose instead.


One of Jonathan's projects:  creating a mini-patio for our grill.  Our backyard is surrounded by rocks, creating an un-even surface for the grill, and it's kind of a pain.  A few stones from Lowe's and a little soil to even out the ground--problem solved!


One of my projects was installing solar lights on either side of the drive-way (and the American flag was my idea, too).




I also planted some flowers along our front entry-way.  These will be the THIRD set of flowers I have attempted out here.  No matter how hard I try, I have such a black thumb!  These, according to the nice lady at Lowe's, are heat-resistant, drought-resistant, and deer-resistant (huh?) so if these die, I QUIT.



Jonathan loved the solar lights along the drive-way so much that he decided to put some around the edge of our yard.  Oskar helped, of course.




Finished project.  Ignore the dead grass.  Our next "to-do" is replacing the real grass with artificial turf.  It's too much of a pain (and an expense).  Grass is just NOT supposed to grow in the desert.




Jonathan also added some stepping stone to our side walk-way.



Another one of my projects was our upstairs back balcony.  I added some coconut planters, a small tree, and some gorgeous low-light flowers.



Love the colors of these flowers.  And they are actually doing really well (knock on wood!)


And, finally, together, Jonathan and I planted a small herb garden in our backyard.  Parsley, cilantro, thyme, oregano, mint, green onions, and peppers.  LOVE having fresh herbs!


What does MJ think of it all?  He doesn't care.  He just LOVES to be outside!




No comments:

Post a Comment