20 May 2012

52-Week Challenge: Week Twenty-One

So how did you all do with last week's doozy of a challenge, living your life with purpose?  As soon as I read last week's chapter, I was immediately taken back to Rick Warren's book The Purpose-Driven Life.  I read it several years ago and, as corny as it may sound, it changed me.  It changed my whole perspective on life.  It may have taken several more years before I fully accepted Christ, but this book was definitely a starting-point on my journey.  As so, as I sat down to write my mission statement, the beginning of the book kept coming back to me:


It’s not about you.
The purpose of your life is far greater than
your own personal fulfillment, your peace of
mind, or even your happiness. It’s far greater
than your family, your career, or even your
wildest dreams and ambitions. If you want to
know why you were placed on this planet, you
must begin with God. You were born by His
purpose and for His purpose.


I fully believe this.  First of all, if there is no God, then you are here as a result of chance and chaos, which means your life CANNOT have purpose.  So why try to find it?  It seems natural to me link the belief in a purpose for your life along with a belief in a higher power.  Secondly, I believe that we will never find our purpose in life by looking INSIDE ourselves.  If God is the one who made you, wouldn't HE have a purpose behind it?  Therefore, how can you possibly find that purpose by looking inside yourself as opposed to looking to your Creator?

As it is, some may say that I cheated on this week's assignment.  Perhaps it is because I just finished studying the book of James, but I could not find a more appropriate mission statement than this:  "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.  Do what it says." -James 1:22 (NIV).  

All of the questions the author suggested asking yourself to determine your purpose led me back to this verse. Sure, when I die, I want people to say that I loved my son and my husband, that I was a good person, that I did good things here on earth.  But, when it all comes back to it, WHY would I have done these things?  I would do these things because I love God and, as it says in His Word, "if you love me, you will obey what I command." (John 14:15).  So when it comes down to it, I want my faith to manifest itself in my actions at all times.  I don't just want to SAY I have faith; I want to SHOW it.  Hence, my mission statement.

Okay, moving on.  For those of you who stopped reading because of the religious references, you can come back now.  Here's this week's challenge:  Go Organic.  Whenever possible, buy organic fruit, vegetables, and animal products.  

When I read this, I immediately thought of Amy Poehler's character in "Baby Mama" who, while pregnant, was encouraged to eat organic.  "Ehh," she says, "that stuff is for rich people who hate themselves."

And yes, organic food is more expensive.  But, in this case, being more expensive actually DOES mean it's better.  Organic food is made without synthetic pesticides, fertilizers, antibiotics, growth hormones, and other nasty stuff that is questionable to your health AND may cause serious effects that will lead to more medical bills down the road.  So why not pay a little more now?

I'll admit:  I'm a cheapskate, and I don't always buy organic.  But, since I started making Matty's baby food, I use all organic fruits and vegetables for him so I already have it on-hand for my meals as well.  However, if you can't afford to buy EVERYTHING organic and need to prioritize, here's a tip:  thin-skinned fruits, such as apples, pears, and berries; and thin-skinned vegetables, such as lettuce, peppers, and potatoes, tend to retain pesticides even after washing.  However, thick-skinned fruits and vegetables, such as bananas, grapefruits, onions, and corn, tend to be safer.  So, if you have to prioritize, it's more important to buy your thin-skinned fruits and veggies from the organic section.  

So take one or two un-necessary things off your grocery list (maybe those cookies or case of beer, even though, yes, I agree--they are both delicious) and spend the extra dough on organic fruits and veggies this week.  Maybe even spring for organic eggs, meat, and dairy, if you're feeling saucy.  

Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment