23 July 2010

Playing with the Big Boys

Last night, I got experience something few civilians ever do: I got to watch my husband air refuel from the deck of a KC-135. As some of you might know, I was selected for this while I was in the States for my sister's wedding and, as happy as I was to be home for that, I was seriously bummed about missing this opportunity. On top of that, I found out later that my husband was the pilot who would be refueling. I was sure the stars would never align properly to give me that chance again.

Fast forward two months. Word goes out that they are going to be offering another ride on the KC-135. Naturally, I jumped at the chance and, lo and behold, I was selected. Once my husband learned I'd be taking the ride, he worked his fighter pilot magic to be the one refueling. He's such a sweet guy that he made it so my good friend Shawna's (who had also been selected for the ride) would be his number two so that we could see BOTH of our husbands.

Unfortunately, the ride was a night ride (we didn't take off until 2000) so no pictures turned out of Jonathan re-fueling. However, it was an absolutely AMAZING experience, and one I don't think I'll ever forget. For this nervous flier, sitting in the cock-pit during take-off was fantastic. I was plugged into the communications cable and could hear the pilots talking. So, as long as they weren't panicked, I wasn't panicked. It was the most at-ease I've ever been during a flight. In addition, I was able to lay in the boom operator's seat (he actually lays down in the back of the aircraft) and move the boom (the thing that dispenses the fuel) around. That thing is HEAVY; I couldn't hardly move it.

When it was finally time for Jonathan to re-fuel, it was like magic: he appeared out of thin air (at least, it appeared that way--it was too dark to see anything!) But once he got close to the boom, I could see him personally. I got to "help" guide the boom to his plane and then talk to him over the radio. Afterwards, I gave Shawna my seat so she could watch her husband re-fuel and I went back to the deck of the plane. Out the side window, I could see Jonathan flying in formation with the KC-135, waiting for his number two to finish. Before the two of them took off into the night, he released a few flares, just for show. That's my husband. :)

I wish the pictures would have turned out, but you'll just have to trust me that it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I would not have missed for the world. As if I needed more of a reason to respect our men and women in uniform, seeing what they did tonight just blew my mind. Thank you all for what you do.

Here are the few pictures that did turn out. Enjoy :)

Getting ready to board:


Shawna and I sitting in the jump seats, waiting patiently for the ride to start. Right after this, we were asked if we wanted to sit in the cock-pit during take-off. Uhhh. . . YEAH!


Self-portrait of me in the cock-pit. We had to turn our flashes off while we were in the air. Blinding the pilots and/or boom operator would be a bad thing.


Looking back into the belly of the plane from the cock-pit:


Taking off!


Laying in the boom operator's chair. Notice my hands tucked safely underneath me. There were a LOT of buttons and switches, and I did not want to break anything.


The view from the boom operator's chair. Korea actually looks pretty from the air. . . from the ground, not so much.


Beautiful view from one of the very, very few windows.


Okay, so its not Pearl Harbor at sunset. . . but it was still amazing. . .


By the time our first fighters met up with us to re-fuel, it was already getting too dark to take pictures. This is about the only one I got. If you look carefully off the wings and above the glow of the sunset, you'll see some lights. Those are 3 F-16s flying in formation with us.


Here is the best picture I got of Jonathan re-fueling. Again, its dark, but if you look closely, you can see the outline of the boom as well as the A-10.


Waaay too dark to catch pictures of Jonathan flying off the wing of the KC-135. I could see him just fine, but my camera could not. However, at least you can see the results of his "show boating" as he and his wingman pulled away (the bright lights are the flares coming off his jet--he is to the immediate left, even though you can't see him.)


Maybe, just maybe, lightning will strike THREE times, and I will get to see him re-fuel during the day. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Super fun! I'm so glad you got to see him refuel, and at night, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work with pictures and descriptions!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok,I finally can post a comment (no name)Fantastic experience, happy you went and took pictures. The wording and description are excellent. Start writing those books as the talent is there!! Proud of you both!! Love ya, dp and mp

    ReplyDelete