18 April 2011

It's a. . . .

The longest week of my life has finally come to an end. Against all odds, Jonathan came on home on time and with no problems. Once he landed, he called me to let me know and told me to go out onto the balcony with Oskar and the video camera. I'd been telling him after every TDY how excited Oskar had gotten when he realized Daddy was home, and Jonathan wanted to see for himself. The video starts when I see Jonathan pull up in front of the building in a taxi. . .


I had all kinds of visions in my head of how opening the envelope would go. I pictured us having a nice, romantic dinner and then opening the envelope together after dessert and hugging and crying after seeing the newest images of our baby (maybe I've seen one too many chick flicks). Needless to say, it didn't quite go the way I pictured it. Jonathan came in the door, exhausted and sweaty, and after some hugs and kisses and "welcome home's," he headed straight for the shower. And as soon as he got out of the shower, he looked me right in the eye: "Where's the envelope?"

I went into the kitchen, grabbed the envelope off the counter, and handed it to him. "You open it."

We sat down on the love seat and said a little prayer together. After that, I watched nervously as Jonathan opened the envelope and then pulled apart the staples the tech had used as an extra precaution against peeking. As Jonathan unfolded the pictures, I couldn't even look; I looked only at his face. Suddenly he broke into a huge grin and his eyes started to water (don't tell him I told you that). Only then did I look. "It's a BOY!" the picture exclaimed, with a no-doubt-about-it look at our baby's "parts."


Tears started to well up in MY eyes then, and we DID hug and laugh and look at the picture again and hug and laugh some more (so I guess THAT part was kind of like a chick flick.) It was then a mad rush of phone calls and Facebook posts (since we had some friends who seemed more anxious to find out the gender than WE were ;) ).

We, of course, would have been happy with either sex, but we both really wanted a boy. Jonathan wanted a boy because, well, he's a guy, and all guys want a son. On top of that, he wanted a son to make sure the Wright family name would continue. I, on the other hand, wanted a boy for three reasons:

1. To make Jonathan happy
2. To make sure that if we DO have a girl next, she's got a big brother to look out for her
3. To take the pressure off of me of producing a Wright family heir!

After the excitement of the sex had died down, I finally sat down to look at the REST of the ultrasound pictures. Although I had been there for the whole thing (obviously), there is still nothing like seeing a still image of your baby. And THIS picture was absolutely precious. Take a look at the partial shot of Baby W.'s face (nose and lips).


Of course, I'm biased, but I think the little guy is already the most beautiful little boy EVER, and he's not even done cooking yet! I mean, come on--look at those little lips!

1 comment:

  1. I almost cried reading this! And I appreciate the shout-out re: Facebook friends who desperately wanted to know Baby Wright's gender. :)

    ReplyDelete